Life feels kind of hard right now, doesn’t it?
And yes, I know, all the things we say:
- others have it worst than me
- at least I’m still healthy (although maybe you aren’t)
- at least I haven’t lost my job (although maybe you have)
- I have a nice home (or maybe you don’t)
- I should be grateful to spend this time with my kids
- I should be grateful for this time to get things done
- I should be…
We say these things to squash down the sadness, the fear, the anxiety, the anger, the resentment. We are masters at “shoulding” on ourselves. We should stay positive, we have hope in our faith, God will never leave us or forsake us. All true.
AND, this is really, really, really hard. So here are my thoughts about feeling ALL our feelings and offering ourselves some compassion. All the time, but ESPECIALLY right now.